Genesis

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Sun Sep 3 12:11:28 EDT 2000

At 09:27 AM 9/3/00 -0500, you wrote:

>But the same arguments that you are presenting for the Hasmonean period
>could be used to justify dating the text to the United Monarchy (as has
>been). The people have just conquered a land and united diverse tribes which
>now need a unifying history, thus the king of the day orders a history to be
>written that justifies their existence. Works kind of well for
>David/Solomon, don't you think? ;-)

save for one fact--- the language of the texts is much later than the period
of the united monarchy.  fred cryer demonstrated this, to my mind
conclusively, in his SJOT article several years back.

best,

Jim

"Do not ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by
incompetence" -Napoleon

Jim West, ThD
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest