Gen 1:1. Kermess

Kerry Shirts shirtail at cyberhighway.net
Fri Sep 1 01:15:31 EDT 2000

----------
From: 	Bill Ross[SMTP:wross at farmerstel.com]
Reply To: 	Bill Ross
Sent: 	Thursday, August 31, 2000 2:39 PM
To: 	Biblical Hebrew
Subject: 	RE: Gen 1:1. Kermess

<Liz>
According to my Greek teacher, it is highly unusual not to have the Greek
article he there. It should be  EN H ARXH.
They wouldn't have left the article out unless they were translating
directly from the Hebrew, even though the Hebrew was unpointed at the time.

<Bill>
Might the difference between "in THE beginning" and "in A beginning" imply
that this account does not describe "THE beginning" of the universe, but
rather its renewal?

Kerry:
Oh how interesting......But isn't this the same usage as found in the
beginning (GRIN!) of the Gospel of John? En Arche ho Logos....... There is
says "the", or am I really beginning to show of my vast fund of ignorance
on things Greek as well? Laugh!

Kerry A. Shirts

Bill Ross

---