1 King 7:14

Bryan Rocine brocine at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 26 20:47:40 EDT 2000

hi Fernando,

the following contain _ishah 'almanah_ :
2 Sam. 14:5
1 Ki. 7:14
1 Ki. 11:26
1 Ki. 17:9
1 Ki. 17:10
often translated "widow woman"

we might consider the "fuller" expression (i.e. it is
"fuller" than simple _'almanah_) to be pragmatically marked,
something like an adjectival clause might be-- "...a woman
who is a widow."  tautology or pleonasm is often functional.
as a confirmation of the idea you might check especially 2
Sam 14:5 in which the speaker adds yet another tautology:
_'ishah 'almanah 'ani wayyamat 'ishi_  "I am a widow woman
and my husband died."  i think the woman's troubled
emotional state is relected linguistically by the tautology.
i think many of us wax wordy when we're troubled.

in the case about which you ask, perhaps we are to
understand that it was quite remarkable that a widow's son,
of all unlikely people, had become such a noteable
craftsman.  why else would the detail even be given.  i
think our best first approach is to assume that everything
the writer gives us is purposeful.

shalom,
bryan

you wrote:
> Dear Members,
> I have some questions related to 1 King 7:14:
> 1)Why does the Hebrew words translated as "widow's son"
have the word "ishsha"(woman)?
> 2)Why doesn't the original just use the word "almanah"
(widow) alone without the word "ishsha"?
> 3)Is there any other example in the Bible of such use of
both words, "ishsha" and "almanah"?