OTA BHS Conversion

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Fri Oct 20 02:14:31 EDT 2000

Dear Rob,

I am glad that your experience was more like mine. I think that John
Richards may have been working with a different version or corrupted copy of
the OTA text.

Following, for everyone's information, is an explanation of the ] marks in
the text. This is taken from one of the WTS documents. It doesn't refer to
exactly the same version, but gives the general idea. I can send the whole
document on request - this is a supplement to the one which I earlier sent
to John Richards, which does not mention the ] codes. Maybe Kirk Lowery can
confirm whether this is still the latest version.

Peter Kirk

                           SUPPLEMENT
                             TO THE
           CODE MANUAL FOR THE MICHIGAN OLD TESTAMENT
                               by
                           Alan Groves
                Westminster Theological Seminary
                    Philadelphia, PA   19118
                      Last Revised 6/7/89

 <snip>

          EXPLANATION OF THE RIGHT-HAND BRACKET   ']*'

  (All bracketing has been done on the basis of the 1983 edition,
   not the 1977 edition.  Moreover, the Makor edition of the
   codex was checked at all relevant points in determining the
   need for a flag.)

]1 BHS has been faithful to the Leningrad Codex where there might
   be a question of the validity of the form and we keep the same
   form as BHS.

   e.g.  Deuteronomy 23:18  YI&RF)"L00]1  (missing silluq)

]2 We have added a sop pasuq where L and BHS omit it.

                          **********
   (Special note: Formerly this category had a much broader range
   and read as follows: "BHS has been faithful to the Codex where
   there might be a question of the validity of the form and we
   have abandoned BHS in order to code it differently." All
   situations other than missing sop pasuqs have now been made to
   conform to L and then labeled as ]1.
                           **********

]3 We read or understand L differently than BHS (1983 Edition).
   Often this notation indicates a typographical error in BHS.

   e.g.  Genesis 6:22  ):ELOHI73YM]3

]4 Puncta Extraordaria -- a 52 is used to mark such marks in the
   text when they are above the line and 53 when they are below
   the line.

   e.g.  Genesis 18:9    )"52LF8052Y52W52]4

]5 Large letter(s)

]6 Small letter(s)

]7 Suspended letter(s)

]8 Inverted Nun     (N]8 in the text)

]9 BHS has abandoned L and we concur. All of these occurrences
   are ketib/qere problems.

]q We have abandoned or added a ketib/qere relative to BHS.  In
   doing this we agree with L against BHS.

   e.g. Exodus 32:17  B.:/R:(O92H]q

]a Adaptations to a Qere which L and BHS, by their design, do not
   indicate.

   e.g. Exodus 4:2  **-Z.E74H]a

]y Yathir readings in L which we have designated as Qeres when
   both Dothan and BHS list a Qere.

]m Miscellaneous notes to the text and occasions where more than
   one bracket category applies.