Pishon, Eden, Ophir

Peter Kirk peter_kirk at sil.org
Sun Jan 23 00:19:54 EST 2000

Yes, Poti is a plausible link with Phasin, and the Rioni is the
largest river of Georgia flowing into the Black Sea. Although it is
not a long river, it is probably an impressive one as it drains the
glaciers and well-watered mountains of the North Caucasus. This might
suggest an Eden in the North Caucasus. The local name of Georgia is
Sakartvelo, and ancient names includes Colchis and Iberia, all of
these could be linked to Havilah. But then maybe that just shows how
easily this name game can be played. And no gold was being mined in
the Soviet period.

David Rohl identifies Dilmun as Bahrain island, and makes a strong
case for this. Part of his evidence is the astonishing number of
ancient tombs on Bahrain (more than 150,000!) suggesting that
Sumerians wanted to be buried in their paradise. That would also make
sense as a location for Eden, the paradise of the Israelites - if and
only if (to get back to some Hebrew) we can understand Genesis 2:10 in
the sense that Eden was at the mouth of the four rivers rather than at
their sources. Coincidentally, Niels today mentioned "common Semitic
*tiham(at), "Sea"... dualis thmtm, the place of El's abode"; "Bahrain"
is of course also the dual form of a Semitic (Arabic) word for "sea",
and Rohl finds significance in this as the meeting place of the
subterranean waters (which well up in Bahrain) with the real sea.

Could "apyros" be derived from "Ophir", with the meaning "fireless" a
later popular etymology explaining the form "apyros" rather than
"opyros"? But I don't see Ophir as linked to Eden - there was not
necessarily just one ancient source of gold. Incidentally, surely
chemical analysis of ancient gold can determine its source - has this
been done?