Ur of the Chaldees

Jonathan D. Safren yonsaf at beitberl.beitberl.ac.il
Thu Jan 20 14:34:12 EST 2000

Walter Mattfeld wrote:

> I checked my copy of Ran Zadok's  Geographical Names According to New- and
> Late-Babylonian Texts (Wiesbaden, 1985), looking for any thing like
> Ur-Kasdim (English: Ur of the Chaldees) without any success. This book is a
> compilation of geographical sites culled from cuneiform tablets dating from
> the 10th century BCE to the 1st century CE.

[JSafren] Have you looked at the series Repertoire Geographique des Textes
Cuneiformes? One of them, I believe the one about the Middle Babylonian or Middle
Assyrian Period, in any case about the period after the First Dynasty of Babylon,
mentions 4 cities named Ur, though one of these is UR4 (number in subscript).

Yours,
--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies