Molech or Molech a god or a sacrifice

Brian Sullivan navillusbpi at primus.com.au
Wed Jan 19 22:55:59 EST 2000

Lorraine asked if anyone replied to my question.

Answer:  No!!!!
Not a bite. Sorry.

So, in the spirit of ‘seek and ye shall find” I once again ask: Alan Lloyd
in his book 'Destroy Carthage - the death throes of an ancient culture’
claims that the term Molech/Moloch refers not to a god (the Carthaginian
god Baal Hammon) but a sacrifice. Is this correct. What is the derivation
of this phrase?

Unfortunately, no scholarly evidence is presented with his statement, hence
I am  asking if there is a scholarly opinion on this matter, or perhaps is
there  a diverse, range of ideas? Even pointing me in the right direction
would be appreciated.

My original question is repinted below.

Thankyou Lorraine, for your  interest, and in advance I wish to thank any
kind enough to contribute to this thread.

Brian Sullivan
Navillusbpi at primus.com.au