SV: Gilgamesh

Jonathan D. Safren yonsaf at beitberl.beitberl.ac.il
Tue Jan 18 14:14:35 EST 2000

Peter Kirk wrote:

> Good evidence that the early part of Genesis is based on Sumerian
> traditions brought to Canaan from southern Mesopotamia by the
> Patriarchs. Don't forget that the exile was not the only point of
> contact between Jewish and Mesopotamian cultures.

[JSafren] Prove that the Patriarchs came to Canaan from Southern Mesopotamia and not
from Northern. The Biblical and extra-Biblical evidence is all for Northern - amd that
includes the name of Abraham's city, which is not Ur but Ur Kasdim.  And see my long
discussions with NPL on this list and on ANE,

Yours,
Jonathan D. Safren