Cherubim

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 7 17:55:51 EST 2000

The journal Biblical Archaeology Review (July/August 1995) presents a photo of an
ancient carving of the mythological beast to accompany its article, "Cherubim: God's
Throne?"  But it presents it as a question.  How sure can we be that the winged sphinx
is the cherub of the Bible?

After discussing cherubim, the Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament
(Botterweck, p. 314) concludes: "As to the appearance of the cherubim, only one point
is clear: they have wings."

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org