Gen 3:24 (Cherubim)

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Fri Jan 7 12:44:34 EST 2000

It's worth pointing out in this regard that the Hebrew MAL'AKH has
been borrowed into Arabic and thence into many other languages, but
only, I think, in the sense of an angelic being and not as a human
messenger. Also the aleph has been dropped in Arabic so the word
appears to come from the root MLK = "king" (found in Arabic as well as
Hebrew). This Arabic usage may postdate the Vulgate but is probably
not dependent on it. I guess the same happened as in Latin, only the
distinctive meaning of the word was borrowed from Hebrew or Greek, as
both languages had perfectly good other words for a human messenger.