b(l xmh in Nahum 1:2

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Tue Jan 4 12:32:07 EST 2000

Dear Ben,

I feel that here you are trying to shelter behind the polysemy in
English of the word "lord", indeed trying to stretch it to cover the
even greater polysemy of the Hebrew BA(AL. Maybe Butterworth and Pusey
were trying to translate the word BA(AL consistently as "lord"
wherever it occurs - which even the Revised Version did not attempt
with this word.

What do you mean by your phrase "a lord of wrath"? Is "lord" here a
divine title? Presumably not, as you do not use a capital letter. Does
it mean "nobleman", or "one in authority", or "owner" as of slaves?
Does it simply mean "one in control"? And if so, do you mean that YHWH
controls all wrath in the world, or only his own wrath?

I think we need to realise that in general the construct relation is
not always best translated into English by "X of Y". Of course such an
English phrase has many different meanings, not simply possessive. I
think that this is a case where we need to look at how the word BA(AL
is used in construct relationships, when the second member is an
abstract noun. In very many cases, including the two from Proverbs I
quoted, the meaning is "one characterised by", with absolutely no
divine overtones. The divine name Baal is used as a construct in such
phrases as Baal-Peor and Baal-Zebub, but the only case which is
anywhere near a parallel with Nahum 1:2 is Baal-Berith, Judges 8:33,
9:4, which is a divine name. This would leave open the possibility
that Baal-Xema is a divine name and Nahum is identifying YHWH with
that divinity, but I don't think that one fits the context nearly as
well as my parallel in Proverbs.