Question Concerning Inspiration(Christine)

Christine Bass christinebass at home.com
Thu Dec 14 11:14:10 EST 2000

> >I could just as well have brought up
> >Jonah whose 3 days and 3 nights in the belly of a whale
> >were referenced by another Jew who claimed he was going to be resurrected,

> (This is conjecture not derived from the text.)

Ian, this is taken directly from the text:

 "Now The Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the
  belly of the fish three days and three nights." (Jonah 1:17)

   (MATTH 12:38)  Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered,
  saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
   (MATTH 12:39)  But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous
  generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be
  given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
   (MATTH 12:40)  For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's
  belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights
  in the heart of the earth.

> >or perhaps I could have mentioned King Saul who apparently believed
> >in life after death since he had the prophet Samuel called up from the
> dead,

> (Again not supportable from the text. You should read the text, not what
> other people conjecture about it.)

Okay, Ian, I will read the text myself. And I will include it here so you can read
it too.

   (1 SAM 28:3)  Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had lamented him, and
  buried him in Ramah, [...]

   (1 SAM 28:8)  And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he
  went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by
  night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the
  familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto
  thee.

   (1 SAM 28:11)  Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he
  said, Bring me up Samuel.
   (1 SAM 28:12)  And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice:
  and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived
  me? for thou art Saul.
   (1 SAM 28:13)  And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest
  thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out
  of the earth.
   (1 SAM 28:14)  And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old
  man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul
  perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to
  the ground, and bowed himself.
   (1 SAM 28:15)  And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring
  me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the
  Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me,
  and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams:
  therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto
  me what I shall do.
   (1 SAM 28:16)  Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing
  the LORD is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?
   (1 SAM 28:17)  And the LORD hath done to him, as he spake by me: for the LORD
  hath rent the kingdom out of thine hand, and given it to thy
  neighbour, even to David:
   (1 SAM 28:18)  Because thou obeyedst not the voice of the LORD, nor
  executedst his fierce wrath upon Amalek, therefore hath the
  LORD done this thing unto thee this day.
   (1 SAM 28:19)  Moreover the LORD will also deliver Israel with thee into the
  hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons
  be with me: the LORD also shall deliver the host of Israel
  into the hand of the Philistines.
   (1 SAM 28:20)  Then Saul fell straightway all along on the earth, and was
  sore afraid, because of the words of Samuel:

> >or even that other Jew with a vision, John, who wrote of seeing
> >resurrections of great numbers of people and life after death
> >in a manner that coincides with Daniel's vision.

> Is this other than empty rhetoric, Christine?

Empty rhetoric, Ian? Read the text for yourself.

> Try this: can you show any
> references in Hebrew literature from after the Hellenistic crisis to the
> start of the Christian literary era which touch on resurrection?

References in Hebrew literature which touch on resurrection.....alright,
I can do that.

  11:43)  And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice,
  Lazarus, come forth.
   (JOHN
  11:44)  And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with
  graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin.
  Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

===========================

   (MATTH 27:49)  The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to
  save him.
   (MATTH 27:50)  Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up
  the ghost.
   (MATTH 27:51)  And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the
  top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks
  rent;
   (MATTH 27:52)  And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints
  which slept arose,
   (MATTH 27:53)  And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went
  into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

================

   (1 THE 4:13)  But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning
  them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others
  which have no hope.
   (1 THE 4:14)  For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them
  also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
   (1 THE 4:15)  For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we
  which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall
  not prevent them which are asleep.
   (1 THE 4:16)  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout,
  with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God:
  and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
   (1 THE 4:17)  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together
  with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so
  shall we ever be with the Lord.

======================

> >As I recall a major point of debate between the Pharisees and the Sadducees
> >was just this topic, resurrection from the dead and everlasting life.

> (Who were these Sadducees and when was this debate?)

  23:6)  But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and
  the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and
  brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope
  and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.
   (ACTS
  23:7)  And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the
  Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided.
   (ACTS
  23:8)  For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither
  angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

> There are three relatively well-dated texts to the Hellenistic crisis which
> deal with resurrection.

Ian, curious minds want to know----what texts???? What do they say about
resurrection?

> There was a clear context for the nurturing of such
> an idea with the dire circumstances of an apparently unwinnable war against
> immense odds, circumstances needing the miraculous. It is analogous to the
> desperate situation of the American Indians who put on the ghost shirts.

What are you intending to imply about the text of Daniel? Could you be more
explicit?

> The
> Dead Sea Scrolls which were mainly written after this period shows little
> interest in resurrection. I think therefore the notion of resurrection in
> Daniel is another indicator of its historical context.

Interesting conjecture......