2 Kings 2:23-24

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Tue Dec 12 11:35:03 EST 2000

> This use of "lads" is common in many parts of my native England. It sounds
> like it has made it as far east as Sydney, so it is hardly a "local
> colloquialism". But apparently it has not made it to those isolated parts of
> the English-speaking world across the Tasman Sea or the Atlantic. ;-)

My family and I were watching the movie "The Fugitive" the other
day and one of the characters read a quote in the newspaper from
the mayor of Chicago.  The mayor said something like "That
Kimble must be some kind of lad to return here."  Another
character was mildly surprised that the mayor said "lad" but
accepted it as a legitimate use of the word.  This is just one
example, and perhaps a contrived one at that, but it does seem to
illustrate that the word has a fairly broad meaning in the US, as
well.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated."  C. S. Lewis