2 Kings 2:23-24

Tony Costa tmcos at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 8 18:03:49 EST 2000

Dear Friends,

  I just had a question regarding the use of N'ARIM QITANIM at 2 Kings
2:23-24. The AV translated it "little children", but other translations
render it "young men". I notice that this word N'AR is also used of Joseph
when he was only 17 years old (Gen 37:2) and also used of Solomon even when
he had become a father. (1 Chron 22:5 cf.1 Kings 14:21; 2 Chron 9:30). The
LXX used PAIDARIA MIKRA, and the word PAIDA seems to be the common Greek
term for a child at least most of the time. Does N'AR denote a youth, young
man or a young child, or is this whole question based on context?

                                             Tony Costa