Isa. 40:10 -- Reward?

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Sat Dec 2 04:42:00 EST 2000

Maybe, but your gut feeling goes against the normal rules of Hebrew poetic
parallelism, in which similar words in parallel lines are to be taken as
co-referential.

The "and" joining the words is misleading as in English it tends to suggest
the opposite. Compare "Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my
path". Two lamps or one? In English you might think two (and even suggest
they are the OT and the NT!). But the Hebrew certainly (?) means one lamp,
with one function described in two different ways.

So you need more evidence than a "gut feeling" to show that there is a real
distinction here between the two words.

Peter Kirk