SV: Elohim -- human or divine in Psalm 82?

barre at freedsl.com barre at freedsl.com
Thu Aug 31 18:27:17 EDT 2000

Actually, no, not originally.  El is a northwest Semitic deity known
at Ugaritic but also from Aram.  Yahweh Sabaoth hails from Edom and
the southern desert regions.  El heads a pantheon while Yahweh rules
alone.  If it weren't for various syncretistic techniques used, there
would be no reason to equate these two gods.

I have posted at my website a study called "The Yahwistic Editing of
the Elohistic Psalter" for anyone interested in distinction between
El and Yahweh.

angelfire.com/ca2/AncientIsrael/edit.html

L.M. Barre, Ph.D.
Angelfire.com/ca2/AncientIsrael
Get DSL high-speed Internet access FREE
with FreeDSL at http://www.freedsl.com