Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Thu Aug 31 09:32:23 EDT 2000

On this list in the past, we have looked through the Hebrew Bible for
structures analogous to that proposed for the translation "In the beginning
of God creating..." and found none. We have looked for analogous structures
for "In the beginning God created..." and we have found them. It is no doubt
on grounds like this that scholars like Waltke and Barr prefer the latter
translation.