Vowel Reduction and the Definite Article

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Wed Aug 30 20:41:15 EDT 2000

Probably normally we reduce vowels first then add the definite article. But
when we do add a definite article and end up with a propretonic qamets
(quite a rare situation), we end up with something which would have sounded
rather oddly heavy to Hebrew ears, and it would not be surprising if
reduction crept in here, especially in such a prominent position. But I
would value input from an expert on Hebrew phonology. Henry, where are you?