SV: Elohim -- human or divine in Psalm 82?

Annika Stacke annika.stacke at swipnet.se
Thu Aug 31 04:26:30 EDT 2000

Oh, what a coincidence! Just a few hours before this mail arrived I happened to read the article by Simon B. Parker: "The Beginning of the Reign of God - Psalm 82 as Myth and Liturgy", Revue Bible 102 (1995), pp 532-559. Parker has, among other things, a very good general exposition on the mythological assumption that each nation had its own god, or that each god had a nation to which it had been allotted.

Parker has two interesting points concerning Ps 82: First, YHWH is not the one presiding the assembly of gods; it is El or Elyon. It is, however, YHWH who charges the other gods with maladministration and annonces their downfall, and after that he takes over and exercises a righteous rule over the world.

Secondly, the narrative section of the psalm (vv 1-7), reflecting a Canaanite origine, "explains" in the form of the myth the unrighteousness in the world. Nevertheless, YHWH has predicted the downfall of the gods, though this is not yet realized. Therefore, in vers 8, the Israelite community prays in the form of a liturgical cry to YHWH to exercise his rule over the world. In this sense, this psalm is properly Israelite, and quite compatible with the strict monotheistic teaching of Second Isaiah.

Annika