Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Wed Aug 30 13:01:59 EDT 2000

On Tue 29 Aug 2000 (22:30:55), lizfried at umich.edu wrote:
> The Hebrew Bible does not have creatio ex nihilo.

 That's a very sweeping statement. Creation /ex nihilo/ is the *implication* of
 Gen 1:1. BaRa' is used of creation /ex nihilo/; `a&aH and YaTSa' are possibly
 used of new creatures made of newly existent raw material. B:ReY$iYT implies
 that there was "nothing there" before the "beginning". Psalm 33:6 and 9
 clearly imply creation ex nihilo by the Word of the LORD, by his breath, his
 statements, and his commandments. If we may include Hebrews 11:3 in the
 "Hebrew Bible" (leaving aside all the other relevant parts of the New
 Testament), "by faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's
 command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible" MH EK
 FAINOMENON (NIV).

 The New Testament leaves us in no doubt; but this is not the forum for that
 discussion.

 Shalom
 Ben
--