The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???

Michael Hildenbrand hildenbr at Haas.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Aug 29 13:08:05 EDT 2000

The term "rule" is pretty good for a translation for lememshelet.
Perhaps "govern."  In either case, a ruler or governor comes into an
already existing realm, i.e. the the days and nights already existed.
They are there to mark the times seasons, etc.  They are to be "signs"
(l'orot) and seasons (mo'adyim) and for days and years.  Their purpose is
"for" (le) these things, not to create them, but for them.  These items
have a separate existence.

Michael