The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???

Raymond de Hoop rdehoop at tref.nl
Tue Aug 29 09:34:05 EDT 2000

Shalom,

What is the problem to accept that the narrator just was talking of a YOM
in the sense he understood it, i.e. 24 hours? It does not imply that you
have to *believe* it, it is just a way of telling things.

Umberto Eco wrote his novel *The Name of the Rose" because he discovered
that "things we can not talk about, we have to tell" (against Witgenstein).
This rule can also be applied to most of the biblical narratives, and
certainly regarding the primeval stories. In this narrative of three
chapters the narrator could express much more truth than Darwin in his
*Origin of the Species*, though the latter might have done more justice to
a *scientific truth*.

Raymond

Dr Raymond de Hoop
Boeiersingel 11