The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Mon Aug 28 21:40:18 EDT 2000

> None of these passages have YOM used in conjunction with numbers, as in
> Gen 1.  My argument still stands.
>
> As to "evening and morning":  Since this phrase only occurs here, you
> would have a case of special pleading if you took it any other way than
> its constituant parts indicate.  That is, evening should be taken as
> "evening" and morning as "morning" unless otherwise indicated.  In *every*
> case where the two are used in the same sentence (some 35x in Bible
> works), the words *never* bear any other meaning than the literal.  This
> makes the case for "evening and morning" in Gen 1 quite strong to
> understand them to refer to the same evening and morning as we are
> familiar with.

You still need to deal with the fact that the sun and moon, which
are responsible for producing evening and morning, aren't created
until the fourth day, which argues strongly that evening and
morning aren't literal at all at least on the first three days.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Éist le glór Dé."