the day you eat you'll die, etc.

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 17:05:27 EDT 2000

On Thu 24 Aug 2000 (13:15:19), jwest wrote:
> satan????? now where is satan mentioned in the story????  and why do you
> equate the serpent with satan????

 You know, Jim!  Because of Ezekiel 28:13 and Revelation 12:9, 20:2. Ezekiel's
 QiYNaH is a mocking funeral dirge over the late King of Tyre, into whom Satan
 entered as he entered into Judas (Luke 22:3). The similar passage in Isaiah
 14:4-23 is called a Ma$aL. Some take the A&E story as a monotheistic version
 of Pandora's Box; but it could be the other way round. Pandora's Box may be a
 corrupted polytheistic version of the monotheistic original. Compare the
 Babylonian versions of the Creation, Fall and Flood episodes. I prefer the
 Tenach versions!

 Gerhard von Rad has my respect too; but I prefer Gordon J Wenham.

 Best to you as ever,
 Ben
--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF