Jeremiah 1:11-12

Cindy Smith cms at dragon.com
Wed Aug 23 15:38:14 EDT 2000

>From:	MX%"jeremy at fish.pair.com"  "Jeremy Sasser" 23-AUG-2000 10:03:06.62
>To:	MX%"b-hebrew at franklin.oit.unc.edu"
>Subj:	Jeremiah 1:11 & 12

>From: "Jeremy Sasser" <jeremy at fish.pair.com>
>To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: Jeremiah 1:11 & 12
>Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:15:46 -0700

>Hello,

>I would like to start a new thread, if I may...

>I came across these verses, Jeremiah 1:11 & 12, yesterday and the Hebrew =
>aspect is fascinating.  The Hebrew word used for almond is shaked and =
>for watching is shoked.  I understand that those two hebrew words share =
>same root: SH-K-D.  (please forgive me for not using standard =
>characters.)  What I would like to do is to understand the significant =
>of those two words.  Is YHWH playing with words or is YHWH using almond =
>as a visual representation of watching?  Are there any good commentaries =
>on this?

The New American Bible has a note on this passage:  "The
watching-tree:  the almond tree, which is the first to blossom in the
springtime as though it had not slept.  The Hebrew name contains a
play on words with 'I am watching.'"

>Thanks,

>Jeremy

Cindy Smith				   Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
GO AGAINST THE FLOW! \\ _\\\_     _///_ // A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
cms at dragon.com       >IXOYE=('> <`)=  _<<  "Delay not your conversion
cms at romancatholic.org//  ///       \\\  \\   to the LORD, Put it not off
cms at 5sc.net				     from day to day" Ecclus/Sira 5:8