In the Day you eat thereof...

Bill Ross wross at farmerstel.com
Tue Aug 22 16:27:13 EDT 2000

I looked up "in the day" (byom) and found that the phrase is used pretty
loosely thoughout Genesis, not necessarily as a 24 hour day. While not
entirely satisfactory, I guess it does provide some explanation for the
phenomenon...

Genesis 2:4  These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when
they were created, in the day  that the LORD God made the earth and the
heavens,
Genesis 2:17  But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt
not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely
die. {thou shalt surely
: Heb. dying thou shalt die}
Genesis 3:5  For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your
eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
Genesis 5:1  This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that
God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
Genesis 5:2  Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called
their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
Genesis 31:40  Thus I was; in the day the drought consumed me, and the frost
by night; and my sleep departed from mine eyes.
Genesis 35:3  And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there
an altar unto God, who answered me in the day  of my distress, and was with
me in the way which I went.

Thanks for all of your help.

By the way, does anyone have any light on the prefix BETH? What can it mean
besides "in"?

Thanks

Bill