The Rebbetzin

Jonathan D. Safren yonsaf at beitberl.ac.il
Sat Aug 19 12:43:10 EDT 2000

The rabbi of the shtetl dies and the congregation decides, after some>
time, that the rebetzin, should marry again. Since it is a small village
the  only available candidate is the local butcher.

Although very reluctantly, since she was used to being married to a
scholar, she accepts.

After the marriage, on Friday night just after taking a bath in the
mikva--(ritual bath) the new husband tells the rebetzin (rabbi's wife):
Look, my mother always said that before the beginning of the shabbos it
was a mitzvah (blessing) to make sex before going to the synagogue.
They do it and when he comes back from shul he tells her:
According to my father it is a mitzvah to make sex before lighting the
candles.

 There they go again and when it is time to go to sleep he tells her:
My grandfather told me that one should always make  sex on shabbos
night.

Finally they go to sleep and when they wake up the next  morning he
tells her:

 My aunt says that a religious Jew always starts the shabbos by having
sex. So lets do it.

Finally on Sunday she goes out to the market and meets a friend that
asks her:

 " Neuooo, so how is the new husband?"

Well, an intellectual he isn't, but he comes from a wonderful
mishpoche!!!