Parsha question - Deut 8:8

Jane Harper jharper at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 17 15:22:34 EDT 2000

Raymond de Hoop wrote:

> The pashta (8a) and the tiphcha (twice, 8b and 8c) are accents of a higher
> grade, whose distinctive force is not as strong as the zaqeph qaton, atnach
> and silluq.

This gives me a chance to ask a question that my Hebrew teachers were
unable to answer.  I first learned these "accent" marks as ta'amim,
cantillation markers.  Does anybody know how they went from being
melodic notation to being considered accent marks and phrase breaks?

Jane Harper

--
Life is a glorious cycle of song; a medley of extemporania.
Love is a thing that can never go wrong, And I am the Queen of Romania.