Gen 2:4

Michael Hildenbrand hildenbr at Haas.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Aug 14 16:14:15 EDT 2000

Actually, YOM falls into quite clear categories.  When it is not augmented
(prefixed pronoun-like "b"- or in the plural) the word *always* refers to
a literal day (some 200x), Gen 1 of course being a battleground.  Further
in Gen 1, YOM is delimited by "evening and morning" which is never used in
reference to anything else but a literal day.  I am sure that we do not
want to get too deeply into this (presuppositions being what they are in
this area)-I don't either.  BDB had this figured out a long time ago (they
have these categories very clearly set out).  Also Evan-Shoshan divides up
the usages quite neatly.

Michael