Gen 2:4

Tony Costa tmcos at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 14 07:40:49 EDT 2000

Dear Friends,

  I was wondering about Gen 2:4 in relation to Gen 1. Gen 1 gives the
chronological sequence of the creation account as six days. Gen 2:4 makes
reference to "in the day" (BYoM) that God created the heavens and the earth.
It seems to capsulize the whole creation into one day. I also noticed a
number of translations render the phrase "In the day" as "at the time"
(Goodspeed, Moffatt, Jerusalem Bible) Is the contrast between 6 days in Gen
1 and the mention of "in the day" (singular) a result of the dual authorsip
of Gen 1 as the work of the Elohist editor and the Gen 2:4 reference the
work of the Priestly editor or simply an acceptable literary device? Any
comments would be appreciated. Many thanks.

                                           Tony Costa, B.A.
                                           University of Toronto