Rohl (Dave)

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Thu Sep 30 12:55:34 EDT 1999

I just want to clarify the point re the Millo, "vast stone terracing
system" (Rohl) or fill which Kenyon discovered in Jerusalem. Rohl
quotes Kenyon as follows: "There was not a great deal in the way of
finds in the fill, but there was enough pottery, including a few
sherds of Mycenaean ware and White Slip II milkbowls, to show that the
date is c. 14th century BC." (referenced as Kenyon, PEQ 95 (1963)
p.13). Rohl comments that the dating of this pottery has since been
refined as Amenhotep III to Haremheb. Are you (or is Kenyon) now
trying to redate this find to 7th-6th century? Or are you talking
about a different discovery?

By the way, you are wasting your time trying to underpin correlations
between Egyptian kings and the Sea Peoples as Rohl does not question
these, only implicitly the identification of the Biblical Philistines
as the Sea Peoples. We have evidence from the Amarna letters for an
Indo-European people in Gath, Ashdod etc who also tried to establish
rule over the central hills. Presumably these are not your famous Sea
Peoples. Who can be sure (apart from a detailed look at chronology)
which (if either) are the Biblical Philistines?