Judges 5:30

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Tue Sep 28 12:03:48 EDT 1999

Dear Ben,

Thank you for bringing us back down to the context. Yes, maybe the
selection was in fact of serving girls to be brought back for the
ladies rather than simple sex objects. I guess they were used for
both, after all the soldiers would want to test out their servility!
It was surely common practice anyway for a woman's servant girls to
also be her husband's concubines, as with Abraham and Hagar, Jacob and
his two concubines.

I wasn't trying to compare the situation to Blackadder at all, except
to illustrate the use of the term "wench" for Henry's "woman as seen
from a reductionist/objectified male viewpoint". But then you are
right to see that this is actually a female viewpoint and the word
chosen should be appropriate to that. The women would be interested in
the girls as servants and simply ignore how the men used them.