Judges 5:30

Henry Churchyard churchyh at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 28 02:43:39 EDT 1999

> Subject: Re: Judges 5:30
> From: George Athas <gathas at mail.usyd.edu.au>
> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:31:01 +1000

[...]

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how it makes all that much sense to
say that the understanding of this passage should be organized around
a _rah.am_ vs. _na`arah_ axis, considering that Jael and Deborah are
simply not _na`aroth_, but rather are married adult women (_nashim_ I
guess, unless there's some more specific term which is eluding me at
the moment -- _g at bhirah_ is probably too specific, at least for Jael).
Also, I doubt whether _rah.am_ has some of the connotations you're
ascribing to it -- and even if it did, this wouldn't necessarily
provide much useful guidance towards coming up with an appropriate
English translation.

--
Henry Churchyard   churchyh at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu   http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/