Judges 5:30

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Mon Sep 27 01:08:44 EDT 1999

Henry wrote:

Hmmm, "wench" has connotations of 18th century barmaids, and people
dressing up in phony costumes with eyepatches and pretending to be
pirates, but I think it's actually the best translation I've seen so
far...

I was thinking "wench" too, as the word seems to be coming back into
colloquial use among younger British men with just the right
derogatory connotations. I guess the fashion came from "Blackadder"
(Rowan Atkinson TV series), I think he used the word a lot.