JER 23:18

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Thu Sep 23 22:29:06 EDT 1999

On this one, let me just point out that BHS suggests an emendation of
the final WAYYI$MF( to WEYA$MIA( comparing with verse 22, and NRSV
apparently translates this form. If the text is not to be emended (I
would rather not), I would suggest that this is a case of the second
parallel line being enhanced from the first one: in the first, there
is merely the intention to hear with the modal WEYIQTOL; in the
second, the hearing is actualised with WAYYIQTOL. I would translate
something like: "For who has stood in the council of YHWH that he
might see and hear his word? Who has listened to his word and actually
heard it?"