b-hebrew digest: September 21, 1999

Matthew Anstey manstey at portal.ca
Wed Sep 22 00:57:26 EDT 1999

Gday Dave & Bryan,

While Hatav's work is very positive and helpful I'm not sure the linguistic
choice for the verbal system for a BH user included the choice between
indicative and non-indicative, since we find qatal and yiqtol (and qotel) in
both environments (as Hatav notes, p.29). Does Hatav explicitly make this a
fundamental distinction in her analysis? I'm not sure she does, and
indicative seems to cut across her four-parameter model. Which means that I
don't see the point Joosten is making. What "indicative subsystem" is he
talking about? (Is he using a speech-act idea of declarative vs
non-declarative utterances?) Perhaps if you explain more clearly what you
mean I may end up agreeing with you!

With regards,
Matthew Anstey