Which Mishnah translation to get?

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 20 16:55:28 EDT 1999

I have had experience with Artscroll and Neusner.  If you want to get the traditonal
Jewish viewpoint, go with Artscroll.  If you want something a bit more objective and
scholarly, Neusner is great.  Artscroll also puts out a fine edition of the Talmud
(Schottenstein Edition).  My basic translation of Mishnayot is that of Philip
Blackman, Judaica Press Ltd. 1983 edition, but the language is a bit wooden.
Accurate, but wooden.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org