Jer 15:6-9

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Thu Sep 16 00:23:25 EDT 1999

Dear Rolf,

I fear you are getting out of your depth and out of the scope of
b-Hebrew here. The problem comes in deciding how to distinguish
between taking the text in context and viewing it with theological
presuppositions. I know that many Biblical scholars would tend to
minimise the relevance of the context here; for they would tend to
view this passage as an originally independent oracle which was only
later put into the context of the book of Jeremiah which has now come
down to us. There is clear support for such ideas in the numerous
differences in ordering between the Hebrew and LXX of Jeremiah.
Whatever you think of such ideas, you should at least study them
before pronouncing that the meaning of this passage should be
determined by its context rather than by the verb forms used within
it. And even if the context of the passage is taken as original, your
view of the relationship of this passage with its context is based on
one of the possible theological understandings of this part of the
book of Jeremiah.