unprofitable servant

Bryan Rocine brocine at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 15 18:04:59 EDT 1999

Lev 25:39-46 makes the distinction between the treatment of
a bondslave and a hired servant or sojourner (see also Deu
15:12-18).   I gather that the distinguishing condition of
the bondslave is that he works with great rigour and without
any reward other than sustenance.  I think the bondslave is
generally "in for life."  Is Christ's reference to an
unprofitable servant in Luke 17:7 a specific allusion to the
type of bondslave mentioned in Lev?  The Liddell-Scott does
not make any such reference to the use of an idiom such as
DOULOI ACREIOI, but I thought someone on one of the lists
might know differently.

Thanks!

doulos sou,
Bryan