Jer 15:6-9

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Wed Sep 15 17:08:45 EDT 1999

Dear Rolf,

Please can you specify the "clues" that this passage is future and not
past. Do you have any good reason, apart from any theories of the
meaning of verb forms, to reject the translation of RSV which takes
this passage as past? I would agree that the sudden transition to
future in verse 9 is awkward, but then there is a sudden change in
Hebrew verb form from QATAL (via WEQATAL) to YIQTOL (which you have
failed to count). Presumably this awkwardness (and perhaps
harmonisation with the wider context in separate "oracles" e.g.
vv.3-4, a rather dangerous procedure!) is one reason why NIV has
translated the whole passage as future. Do you have any other
explanation for this change of Hebrew verb form?

I wrote the above before seeing Randall's response and your response
to that. I should add that I am not here suggesting any kind of
"prophetic perfect", but rather that Jeremiah (writing at an unknown
time, I would guess during the reign of Zedekiah) is referring to a
past partial destruction (the first capture of Jerusalem?), and then
(at the end of verse 9) looking ahead to a future complete destruction
(the final capture of the city?).