Jer 15:6-9 - Rolf

Bill Rea cctr114 at its.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Sep 14 16:59:16 EDT 1999

Rolf wrote:-

>Dear list-members,
>
>In the mentioned verses I count 12 QATALs, 1 WEQATAL  and 3 WAYYIQTOLs. I
>cannot find any clue in the context suggesting that the events mantioned by
>the prophet is past; i.e. that reference time comes before speech time.
>However, I find many clues that they are future; i. e. reference time comes
>after speech time. How would the particular model for Hebrew verbs that you
>believe in, direct you in the translation of these verses? In other words,
>how would you translate the verses?

I translated this passage a few years ago. Here is that effort,
I haven't been back to check this:-

6 It is you who have abandoned me
  - declares YHWH
  You walk backwards
  I will stretch out my hand against you
  And I will destroy you
  I am weary with relenting
7 I will scatter them with a winnowing fork
  In the gates of the land
  I will cause bereavement, I will destroy my people
  They have not turned from their way
8 Their widows will be more numerous to me
  Than the sands of the seas
  I shall bring against them
  Upon mother and young man
  A destroyer at noon
  I will bring upon them, suddenly
  Fear and terror
9 She who has given birth to seven languishes
  Her inner being sighs
  Her sun sets while it is still day
  She is shamed and humiliated
  Their remnant I will give to the sword
  Before their enemies - declares YHWH

Bill Rea, Information Technology Services, University of Canterbury  \_
E-Mail b dot rea at its dot canterbury dot ac dot nz                 </   New
Phone   64-3-364-2331, Fax     64-3-364-2332                        /)  Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator                                         (/'