Jerusalem, definitions

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Wed Sep 8 16:18:06 EDT 1999

Sorry, I was misled by the Turkish and Azerbaijani forms which are
indeed "Misir", and are derived from the Arabic but apparently with a
small change. But the point still holds that the Arabic form is from
the root MCR. I guess that the s in "Misra" is an emphasised
(pharyngealised) form (the one often transliterated with a dot
underneath) corresponding to the Hebrew Tsade - can anyone confirm
that?