Jerusalem, neuter plural

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Tue Sep 7 21:35:05 EDT 1999

We might be able to help in answering Jonathan's question ("the
pronunciation Yerushalayim is a late development. How late?") by
looking at forms in other Middle Eastern languages. For example, I
understand that an Arabic form something like YERUSALIM exists
(although Arabs call the modern city AL-QUDS) - does anyone know how
ancient this form is? What forms are used in various modern Aramaic
dialects, Christian and Jewish? What about Coptic, Ge`ez or Amharic,
etc? Although some of these could be influenced by Greek forms, they
may well give evidence of the pronunciation of the city name by
speakers of those languages at the time of writing or translation of
ancient texts. If the name were indeed pronounced as a dual at those
times, I would expect that to be reflected in at least some of the
forms found in other languages.

Some further evidence: the form $FL"M (Shalem) in Gen 14:18 and Psa
76:3, LXX and NT SALHM (Gen 14:18, 33:18, Jeremiah 48:5, Judith 4:4,
Hebrews 7:1,2), which was understood in ancient times as an
abbreviation of the full city name.

Joe Friberg suggested that the upsilon in the Greek form HIEROSOLUMA
is derived from the Hebrew sequence of letters -AYI-. Well, that is
not impossible. But it could equally be derived from a long E sound,
in Hebrew as in Aramaic. The closest to the upsilon would be a long I
sound, as in the Arabic spelling above. On the other hand, I have read
that the form HIEROSOLUMA is derived from an assimilation to a Greek
popular etymology: HIERO = "Holy" and SOLUMA = ??

I have done a quick look at LXX renderings of other Hebrew names which
appear to be dual in form. I have only included case where the LXX is
a recognisable transliteration of the Hebrew, in a verse which my
software recognises as parallel (it became confused in Jeremiah).

Reference       RSV                     LXX

GEN 14:5        Ashterothkarnaim        Astarwq Karnain
GEN 15:20 ++    Rephaim                 Rafain
GEN 38:14 +     Enaim                   Ainan
GEN 41:52 ++    Ephraim                 Efraim
NUM 32:37 ++    Kiriathaim              Kariaqaim
NUM 33:46 +     Almondiblathaim         Gelmwn Deblaqaim
JOS 13:6        Misrephothmaim          Maserefwqmaim
JOS 13:26 +     Mahanaim                Maanain
JOS 13:30 +     Mahanaim                Maanaim
JOS 15:36       Shaaraim                Sakarim
JOS 21:22       Kibzaim                 Kabsaim
JDG 3:8 ++      Cushanrishathaim        Cousarsaqwm
2SA 2:8 ++      Mahanaim                Manaem
2SA 4:3         Gittaim                 Geqqaim
2SA 13:34       Horonaim                Wrwnhn
2SA 17:24 ++    Mahanaim                Manaim
2KI 17:24 ++    Sepharvaim              Sepfarouain
1CH 2:30 +      Appaim                  Affaim
1CH 4:23        Netaim                  Nataim
1CH 8:8         Shaharaim               Saarhm
2CH 3:6         Parvaim                 Farouaim
2CH 11:9        Adoraim                 Adwraim
2CH 16:4        Abelmaim                Abelmain
EZR 2:57        Pocherethhazzebaim      Faceraq-asebwin
NEH 7:59        Pocherethhazzebaim      Facaraq uioi Sabaim
ISA 15:5        Horonaim                Arwniim
ISA 15:8        Eglaim                  Agallim
ISA 36:19 +     Sepharvaim              Sepfarim
EZK 47:10       Eneglaim                Ainagalim
EZK 47:16       Sibraim                 Sebraim
HOS 1:3         Diblaim                 Debhlaim

or -ain in LXX. There is some inconsistency, especially in the
renderings of "Mahanaim" (which is also often translated as
"Parembolai") Some have shortened endings such as -an. Only once is
there an ending -hm (cf. Greek Yerusalhm). There are no cases of an
upsilon corrseponding to the Hebrew -AYI-, and there are no cases of a
suffixed -a or any other declinable Greek ending. This suggests that
it is very unlikely that the Greek form HIEROSOLUMA is derived from a
Hebrew dual ending.