Joshua and Jeshua

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 3 15:18:44 EDT 1999

Jeshua is most likely a parallel form with Joshua, both of which are short forms
deriving apparently  from Yehoshua.  "Joshua" is spelled "Yehoshua" in the Masoretic
text of that book, but  the same son of Nun is called "Hoshea" in Numbers 13:8, and
"Yeshua"  in the Hebrew text at Nehemiah 8:17.  I have read somewhere that the "short
forms" may be due to the influence of Aramaic, but do not have ready access to that
reference.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org