Jerusalem, neuter plural

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Fri Sep 3 12:27:21 EDT 1999

An interesting question, Joe, and I don't have any real answers. But
you may be interested in the Russian convention for borrowed place
names, as used extensively in places like Azerbaijan. In general (and
with some oversimplification) place names ending in a consonant are
masculine, those ending in -a are feminine, those ending in -e and -o
are neuter, those ending in -i are plural (in Russian, gender is not
distinguished in the plural). These are the normal default rules for
Russian common nouns, and the place names then decline as if they were
Russian nouns. But place names ending in -u (e.g. Baku) do not match
any Russian noun classes and so are treated as undeclinable, and I
think masculine.

The rules are slightly different for personal names as the name must
have the same gender as the person. Personal names of men ending in -a
can be masculine (though they decline as if feminine - many native
Russian names follow this pattern), but womens' names ending in a
consonant are undeclinable, presumably because the regular declension
of nouns ending in a consonant implies masculine gender. Personal
names ending in -e and -o are also taken as undeclinable, I believe.