tohu vabohu (was: Re: new subscriber)

Jeffery R. Condit kcondit at attglobal.net
Tue Nov 30 12:41:50 EST 1999

Peter Kirk suggested a thought on "tohu webohu" (Gen. 1:2).  Perhaps an
English near equivalent might be "helter-skelter."

I've often wondered about the history of the knowledge of Hebrew (and other
ancient languages).  In English, isn't Gesenius sort of a father of Hebrew
lexica?  If there there a genealogy of lexica that one can trace?  How did
we come to the "modern" understanding of the meaning of a word like "bohu?"

Thanks,

Jeff