Genesis 2:4

George Athas gathas at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Nov 30 22:10:38 EST 1999

Noel O'Riordan wrote:

> Frank Moore Cross also argues that 2:4 is in its correct position, and is
> used by P as a superscription to the paradise narrative.  (F.M.Cross
> Canaanite Myth and Hebrew epic. p302)

With the above posts, and another by Peter Kirk, I realise my post gave the impression
that the beginning of Genesis was just a random compilation of various source material.
That's not the impression I was trying to give. Of course Gen 2 should come after Gen 1
because of the thematic developments in each. What I originally intended to highlight was
that Gen 1 and Gen 2 were different accounts of creation and probably weren't even
associated together originally. Rather, it was by the deliberate choice of a scribe that
Gen 1 and Gen 2 were brought together. So, it was only by a compiler's design that Gen 1
preceded Gen 2, not because both chapters were written by the same original author.

Best regards,
George Athas
 Dept of Semitic Studies,
 University of Sydney