inf absolutes?

ROGLAND at rullet.LeidenUniv.nl ROGLAND at rullet.LeidenUniv.nl
Tue Nov 30 02:54:28 EST 1999

> is there a comprehensive study of the infinitive absolute? form, syntax,
> distribution, semantics, etc, etc? if not, it ought to be done: it's not
> that big of a project.

        Mark Smith gave a paper last month on the inf. abs. at a congress
        in Beer Sheva.  I assume it will appear in the proceedings when
        they are published (E.J. Brill).

        A doctoral dissertation on the subject is being prepared by Shigeo
        Takeuchi, though I don't know when it will be finished, and it
        will be written in Japanese (though I've heard that the Hebrew
        tense-aspect system is very similar to the Japanese...).  You
        could e-mail him at: atake at cc.kyoto-su.ac.jp

        Best wishes,

        Max Rogland, Leiden University