son of Neriah

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Sun Nov 28 05:21:54 EST 1999

On Sat 27 Nov 1999 (22:05:48), jchildsjr at mmcable.com wrote:
> As I did a word-search in BW on "son of Neriah" in Jeremiah, I came up
> with both Baruch and Seraiah.  Are they brothers or the same person?

 Dear Jay

 Seriah the son of Neriah the son of Maaseiah (Jeremiah 51:59) may well
 have been the brother of Baruch son of Neriah the son of Maaseiah
 (Jeremiah 32:12). Baruch was a realtor who issued the title deeds of
 the property in Anathoth which Jeremiah purchased on God's orders.
 This Baruch later appears as Jeremiah's scribe and/or legal advisor.

 Seriah was a member of King Zedekiah's Court Staff, about to be taken
 captive to Babylon. Jeremiah gives him a copy of the prophecies against
 Babylon, which he is to publish there, and then throw the weighted scroll
 into the Euphrates as a sign that these words are irrevocable.

 Shalom

 Ben
--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF