New Subscriber

Jonathan Bailey jonathan.bailey at gmx.de
Sat Nov 27 15:45:47 EST 1999

Michael, I doubt there are too many people here that are interested in proving you right
or wrong. I for one am not here to grind theological axes.

You are welcome to your exegesis. In my short time on the list, however, I have
noticed that the list seems to involve itself with questions of linguistics, historical
criticism, or textual criticism, and when theological views are brought up (such as the
typology thread), they usually involve exploration of issues of method and types of
interpretation without necessarily seeking to apply methods of interpretation to
support any particular exegetical conclusion. Though the list is (much to my
enjoyment) quite casual and open to a variety of levels and areas of discussion, you
would probably be met with more enthusiastic responses if you had written your post
to a list which devotes itself more fully to theological and exegetical matters.

The reason Mr. Wagers did not devote more time to your post or try to support or
refute it is quite probably because he did not care one way or another about your
gap-theory exegesis. Most of the people on here are using the list to keep in touch
with other competent professionals to the event of furthering their personal research,
aquiring tools of their trade, etc. They are not particularly trying to convert anyone to a
particular exegesis.

But I haven't been on the list for terribly long, and in my short time on the list I have
noticed that almost anything goes, so enjoy and write what you will. But don't get
discouraged by responses like Mr. Wagers.

Jonathan Bailey
MA Kandidat
Hochschule für Jüdische Studien
Heidelberg